14 Jul 61+ Hurt Quotes [Images + FREE PDF eBook]
Being hurt sucks but it something we all have to go through. Here are some quotes about being hurt and images to help you through some tough times and give you some peace. The journey of life is full of happiness as well as misery.
Messages about grief and handling it
1. Respect your pain
“I honor my grief.” – Marianne Williamson
Suppressing your pain can backfire, since you’ll never truly face its causes and work through it. Give yourself time to process what has happened and come to terms with your feelings. Take some time to respect your pain and understand that it will help you grow one day.
2. Protect yourself and learn from your pain
“Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off it over and over again?” – Rosa Parks
While you should honor your pain, don’t wallow in it. Once you allow yourself to work through the healing process, don’t keep revisiting your past hurts unnecessarily. You can wish a friend well on their journey with some happy journey quotes.
3. Suffering is optional
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
You can’t control how people act toward you. What you can control is how you react to it. Practice self-affirmation and learn to distance yourself from people’s negativity.
4. The things that hurts us can also teach us
“What hurts us is what heals us.” – Paulo Coelho
It sounds counter-intuitive, but learning to cope with difficulty can help us to rebound faster from painful happenings in the future. Practice your coping strategies and learn how to use them.
5. Betrayals can be incredibly painful
“Being hurt by someone you truly care about leaves a hole in your heart only love can fill.” – George Bernard Shaw
If someone you love causes you pain, don’t be afraid to remind yourself that you are still worthy of love. Allow them the chance to apologize and make it up to you, or let one of your other loved ones reassure you.
6. Take the bad with the good
“If we aren’t capable of being hurt, we aren’t capable of feeling joy.” – Madeleine L’Engle
Life is full of contrasts, and the bad times only serve to sweeten the good ones. Remember that one day you will be happy and this moment will seem very distant indeed.
7. What goes around comes around
“There’s a natural law of karma that vindictive people, who go out of their way to hurt others, will end up broken and alone.” – Sylvester Stallone
It can be tempting to try to get revenge on someone who’s wronged you, but it’s not productive. In fact, it’s likely to make the situation worse. Trust that the consequences of their bad behavior will catch up to them.
8. Learn to forgive those who have hurt you
“You will know forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” – Lewis B. Smedes
Living well is the best revenge, and becoming the better person has its own sweet satisfaction. Learn to release animosity and accept that people will make mistakes. Letting go will benefit you more than anyone.
9. Sometimes good change can still hurt
“Your pain is breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.” – Khalil Gibran
When we suffer, we grow to know ourselves more deeply. Above and beyond that, we also gain empathy for other people and their struggles. Try to understand the reasons why you’re hurting.
10. Don’t give up or give in to your suffering
“Pain is temporary> If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong
Even painful situations can sometimes be beneficial if they lead you to a goal or a better way of life. Learn to discern when this is the case, and persevere to get what you want.
Related Post: 57+ Quotes About Being Strong w/ Images [Updated 2018]
11. Learn from your mistakes
Every painful experience is a chance to learn more about yourself and the world. Try to find a lesson that will make the hurt worthwhile.
12. Courage will overcome pain
Being brave isn’t about never being hurt or feeling vulnerable. It’s about pushing through the hard times and fighting on to another, brighter day. Keep in mind that in getting through this pain, you’re making yourself a stronger person.
13. It’s OK to reach out for help
Don’t bottle up your pain. Talking about your problems to someone you know and trust is a great way to gain perspective and feel less alone.
14. Remember that brighter days are coming
It hurts to be separated from the people we care about. Take heart in thinking about the time when you’ll be reunited, and it’ll be easier to get through the lonely times.
15. Learn to laugh at your pain
Laughter is the best medicine. Try to find the humor in a given situation; it’ll take the sting out of the problem and possibly even lead you to a solution.
16. Heal with love and sympathy
When you’re hurting, there’s no shame in seeking comfort in the people, places, and things you adore. Accept help and comfort when it’s offered to you.
17. Be empathetic to the suffering of others
Sometimes it hurts more to see someone you love suffer than to suffer yourself. You can help both them and yourself if you do everything you can to get them through a difficult time.
18. Hurt is a part of life
While no one enjoys suffering, it can be a valuable reminder of one’s humanity. Get in touch with what you’re feeling. Understand that it’s just a reality of life that there will be ups and downs on your winding journey.
19. Life is full of pleasure and pain
Keep in mind that this too shall pass. Even the worst feelings aren’t permanent, and this won’t be either.
20. Learn to let go of your hurt and pain in due time
Don’t dwell on past grievances if they’re no longer causing you harm. Take this opportunity to move forward with your life.
Famous quotes about dealing with pain
Some comforting thoughts about being hurt and how to perceive pain. Because pain is very subjective, it can be up to us whether we view it as a learning experience or a debilitating event. We hope you can use these quotes to heal and grow with your pain.
21. “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” – Goi Nasu
22. “We suffer more often in imagination than in reality.” – Seneca
23. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
24. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
25. “Forgiving is my gift to you. Moving on is my gift to myself.” – unknown
26. “Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
27. “You don’t drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.” – Edwin Louis Cole
28. “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
Love like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like there’s nobody listening,
And live like it’s heaven on earth.” – William W. Purkey
29. “Why is there ever this perverse cruelty in humankind, that makes us hurt most those we love best?” – Jacqueline Carey
30. “I can be hurt, she said, only by people I respect.” – Mary Balogh
31. “A torn jacket is soon mended, but hard words bruise the heart of a child.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
32. “Nothing else wounds so deeply and irreparably. Nothing else robs us of hope so much as being unloved by one we love” – Clive Barker
33. “You’ll stop hurting when you stop hoping.” – Guillaume Musso
34. “One is never wounded by the love one gives, only by the love one expects.” – Marty Rubin
35. “When a person tells you that you hurt them, you don’t get to decide that you didn’t.” – Louis C.K.
36. “It’s a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you’re hurt.” – Tom Gates
37. “Our spirit is mightier than the filth of our memories.” – Melina Marchetta
38. “It’s impossible to live without hurting others.” – Jun Mochizuki
39. “As one grows weaker one is less susceptible to suffering. There is less hurt because there is less to hurt.” – Jack London
40. “I do know this. It’s the things we run from that hurt us the most.” – Norma Johnston
Sayings and Images about Being Hurt
We often rely on our dearest friends to give us good advice and condolences during out times of trouble. You can also pull yourself out of a rut with some inspiring words and wisdom from amazing people.
41. “I wonder if it hurts to live,
And if they have to try,
And whether, could they choose between,
They would not rather die.” – Emily Dickinson
42. “Time doesn’t heal all wounds, only distance can lessen the sting of them.” – Shannon L. Alder
43. “Hurt is a bruise on the outside. Harm is a bruise on the inside.” – Tiffany Reisz
44. “The good news is you survived. The bad news is you’re hurt and no one can heal you but yourself.” – Clementine von Radics
45. “Sometimes the memories we cling hardest to are the ones that hurt us the most.” – Elizabeth May
46. “Hurting people you love is the heaviest kind of regret.” – Charlotte Eriksson
47. “Maybe love and pain are synonyms.” – Vanshika Dhyani
48. “Love always hurts, Always. It’s what you do with it that makes it durable.” – Athena Kamalei
49. “If you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles” – Walt Whitman
50. “You can’t avoid hurt. Your only choice is to live through it.” – Rebekah Crane
51. “Even the very best people found ways to hurt the ones they loved.” – Krystal Sutherland
52. “May you suffer enough tragedy to gain a vast knowledge and understanding of life.” – Dominic Riccitello
53. “No reason can be a good reason to hurt someone.” – Somya Kedia
54. “It’s when I hurt you that I cry inside myself.” – Anthony T. Hincks
55. “Every loss is unprecedented. You can’t ever know someone else’s hurt.” – John Green
56. “Just because people have hurt you doesn’t justify your hurting others or someone back.” – Latika Teotia
57. “Most men judge your importance in their lives by how much you can hurt them, not by how happy you can make them.” – Marilyn Monroe
58. “What a person did when they were in pain said a lot about them.” – Veronica Roth
59. “The happiest people are the one who have mastered life’s hardest lesson. They’ve learned how to let go.” – Romina Russell
60. “Cut anyone and everyone out of your life that makes you feel small, hurt, humiliated, stupid, worthless, etc. do it swiftly and violently and without remorse.” – Genereux Philip
61. “Sometimes, hope is even harder to bear than grief.” – Claudia Gray
62. “To hurt is as human as to breathe.” – J.K. Rowling
63. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
If you need some good vibes during your time of pain you can see our list of positive quotes for when you’re feeling down.
Download FREE Being Hurt Quotes eBook (No Sign-up Needed)
- Get printable, high resolution PDF download
- 20+ pages of handwritten quotes & beautiful images
- Use these sayings to reflect in times of pain and suffering (remember things usually get better!)
Hope you can heal from pain
Life has many ups and downs that can really spiral us into a world of pain and sadness. Remember that your journey is going to be a roller-coaster ride that you’ll have to endure the valleys while enjoying the peaks. I hope that these photos and quotes about being hurt can help you through rough patches while you push through the storm.
Feel better – it’ll be OK,