14 Jul 20 Quotes About Being Hurt (And The Lessons They Hold)
Being Hurt Quotes
Being hurt sucks but it something we all have to go through. Here are some quotes about being hurt to help you through some tough times. You can also pull yourself out of a rut with some inspiring words and wisdom from amazing people.
Download FREE Being Hurt Quotes eBook (No Sign-up Needed)
- Get printable, high resolution PDF download
- 20+ pages of handwritten quotes & beautiful images
- Use these sayings to reflect in times of pain and suffering (remember things usually get better!)
Quotes About Being Hurt, Suffering, and Grief
1. “Some pain is simply the normal grief of human existence. That is pain that I try to make room for. I honor my grief.” – Marianne Williamson
Suppressing your pain can backfire, since you’ll never truly face its causes and work through it. Give yourself time to process what has happened and come to terms with your feelings.
2. “Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again?” – Rosa Parks
While you should honor your pain, don’t wallow in it. Once you allow yourself to work through the healing process, don’t keep revisiting your past hurts unnecessarily. You can wish a friend well on their journey with some happy journey quotes.
3. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” – Mahatma Gandhi
You can’t control how people act toward you. What you can control is how you react to it. Practice self-affirmation and learn to distance yourself from people’s negativity.
4. “What hurts us is what heals us.” – Paulo Coelho
It sounds counter-intuitive, but learning to cope with difficulty can help us to rebound faster from painful happenings in the future. Practice your coping strategies and learn how to use them.
5. “Being hurt by someone you truly care about leaves a hole in you heart that only love can fill.” – George Bernard Shaw
If someone you love causes you pain, don’t be afraid to remind yourself that you are still worthy of love. Allow them the chance to apologize and make it up to you, or let one of your other loved ones reassure you.
6. “If we aren’t capable of being hurt we aren’t capable of feeling joy.” – Madeleine L’Engle
Life is full of contrasts, and the bad times only serve to sweeten the good ones. Remember that one day you will be happy and this moment will seem very distant indeed.
7. “There’s a natural law of karma that vindictive people, who go out of their way to hurt others, will end up broke and alone.” – Sylvester Stallone
It can be tempting to try to get revenge on someone who’s wronged you, but it’s not productive. In fact, it’s likely to make the situation worse. Trust that the consequences of their bad behavior will catch up to them.
8. “You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” – Lewis B. Smedes
Living well is the best revenge, and becoming the better person has its own sweet satisfaction. Learn to release animosity and accept that people will make mistakes. Letting go will benefit you more than anyone.
9. “Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.” – Khalil Gibran
When we suffer, we grow to know ourselves more deeply. Above and beyond that, we also gain empathy for other people and their struggles. Try to understand the reasons why you’re hurting.
10. “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong
Even painful situations can sometimes be beneficial if they lead you to a goal or a better way of life. Learn to discern when this is the case, and persevere to get what you want.
11. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
Every painful experience is a chance to learn more about yourself and the world. Try to find a lesson that will make the hurt worthwhile.
12. “Pain nourishes courage. You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
Being brave isn’t about never being hurt or feeling vulnerable. It’s about pushing through the hard times and fighting on to another, brighter day. Keep in mind that in getting through this pain, you’re making yourself a stronger person.
13. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” – C. S. Lewis
Don’t bottle up your pain. Talking about your problems to someone you know and trust is a great way to gain perspective and feel less alone.
14. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens
It hurts to be separated from the people we care about. Take heart in thinking about the time when you’ll be reunited, and it’ll be easier to get through the lonely times.
15. “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it.” – Charlie Chaplin
Laughter is the best medicine. Try to find the humor in a given situation; it’ll take the sting out of the problem and possibly even lead you to a solution.
16. “Through Love all that is bitter will be sweet, Through Love all that is copper will be gold, Through Love all dregs will become wine, through Love all pain will turn to medicine.” – Rumi
When you’re hurting, there’s no shame in seeking comfort in the people, places, and things you adore. Accept help and comfort when it’s offered to you.
17. “True compassion means not only feeling another’s pain but also being moved to help relieve it.” – Daniel Goleman
Sometimes it hurts more to see someone you love suffer than to suffer yourself. You can help both them and yourself if you do everything you can to get them through a difficult time.
18. “The great art of life is sensation, to feel that we exist, even in pain.” – Lord Byron
While no one enjoys suffering, it can be a valuable reminder of one’s humanity. Get in touch with what you’re feeling.
19. “Pain and pleasure, like light and darkness, succeed each other.” – Laurence Sterne
Keep in mind that this too shall pass. Even the worst feelings aren’t permanent, and this won’t be either.
20. “When you can’t remember why you’re hurt, that’s when you’re healed.” – Jane Fonda
Don’t dwell on past grievances if they’re no longer causing you harm. Take this opportunity to move forward with your life.